How do I make a complaint?

At extraenergy we work hard to maintain high standards of services that you are always treated fairly and enjoy a great customer experience. Unfortunately, we don't always get everything right. If you’re unhappy with any aspect of our service then we’d really like to understand why, so we can put things right as quickly and effectively as possible.

We’ve created a procedure that allows you to easily raise your concerns with us and have them dealt with swiftly. To ensure you understand how we manage that process we have set out below how we work, so you’ll know at all times what we’re doing to resolve your concerns.

Please be aware that if you are concerned about an appointment you have had with an engineer or other representative of ours, meter problems, or interruptions to your supply, these will be also be considered under our Guaranteed Standards of Performance which can be found here [hyperlink]. We will guide you through that process if it applies to your circumstances.


Stage 1

To raise a complaint please contact our Customer Care Team at your earliest convenience.

You can contact us using any of the following methods, and we will aim to progress your complaint throughout using your preferred method of communication wherever possible..

Phone: 0800 953 4774 (Mon-Fri: 8am - 8pm and Sat: 9am – 5pm)
Post/ Visit: Extra Energy Supply Ltd, 54 Hagley Road, Birmingham, B16 8PE

Or you can get us on Social Media:


We’ll aim to resolve your complaint as quickly as we can. If, for example, you have telephoned us to raise your complaint and we have enough information to hand, we’ll aim to resolve your concerns during the call. If it isn’t possible to resolve your complaint, or we need to complete further investigation, your complaint will proceed to stage 2.

You’ll receive a written acknowledgement of this within 5 working days of the complaint being made. This will set out the steps we’ll take to put things right for you.


Stage 2

Your case will be passed to a Resolution Specialist who will manage your complaint. They’ll start investigating your complaint straight away, and will contact you within 10 days to agree next steps or let you know our proposed resolution.

This may include one or more of the following:

  • Providing you with an explanation,
  • An apology,
  • Putting right what’s gone wrong,
  • We may offer a goodwill gesture by way of a payment of compensation.

Your Resolution Specialist will keep you regularly updated throughout the process. If at any time you feel that your complaint has not been handled to your satisfaction, you may ask for it to be reviewed by a member of our management team.

If we’re unable to reach a resolution with you, we’ll provide you with a final response letter (this is sometimes called a deadlock letter). This outlines our proposals and also highlights your rights to refer the case to the Ombudsman’s Services: Energy.

You also have the option of approaching the Ombudsman should your complaint not be resolved within 8 weeks. We’ll write to you at that time to let you know, although we’ll continue our investigation and aim to put things right as quickly as we can.


Stage 3

If you’ve received a final response letter, or 8 weeks have passed since you raised your complaint, you can contact the Ombudsman Services: Energy. It’s important that we have an opportunity to resolve your complaint with you in the first instance. You may be referred back to us from the Ombudsman if you haven’t followed the process outlined in stages 1 and 2.

Ombudsman Services: Energy will carry out a free, independent investigation on your behalf. As part of resolving your complaint, they may ask us to make an apology or give an explanation. They can also ask us to take remedial action and may require us to award compensation. Any decision they make will be binding on our company, but not on you, so you can seek further advice if you wish to.

Here's how to contact the Ombudsman Services: Energy:

Phone: 0330 440 1624 (textphone 0330 440 1600)
Post: Ombudsman Services: Energy, PO Box 966, Warrington, WA4 9DF


Other Useful Contacts

You may contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service (CACS) or the Extra Help unit (EHU) for independent, impartial and free advice. If you are a domestic customer you can contact CACS/EHU at any point of the complaints process.

Here’s how to contact the Citizens advice consumer service

Phone: 03454 040506