Thank you for your interest in the extraenergy Warm Home Discount scheme. The scheme is now closed for applications for 2016/2017, please do check back with us in October of this year so you don’t miss out on the 2017/2018 scheme.
This scheme is designed to help those who may be struggling to pay their bills, by providing a one off payment of £140. This credit will be added to your account automatically and show on your next bill, or in the case of prepayment customers, you will receive a voucher which you can use to top up your meter at your local post office.
The eligibility criteria is split into 2 groups, as shown below:
If you receive Pension Credit, you’ll automatically be considered for the Core Group. If you meet the below conditions you do not need to do anything now to get the 2016/17 discount as this will be applied automatically. You can find out more information at www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme.
You will qualify if you:
- Receive only the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (without receiving Savings Credit).
- Receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit as well as Savings Credit.
If you are part of the Core Group, you should have received a letter from the DWP explaining that you are eligible for the discount. The letter will have a reference starting with the letter M or U which you can see more information about below:
- If your reference number begins with an M, it means that you’re part of the Core Group. Therefore if we supplied your electricity on 10 July 2016, we’ll automatically pay you the Warm Home Discount. For more information about when you will receive this, see the section below titled ‘When will I receive the Warm Home Discount?’
- If another energy company provided your electricity on 10 July 2016, the DWP will send your details to your previous supplier for them to apply your discount.
- If your reference number begins with a U, it means that the DWP are not sure who your electricity supplier was on the 10th July 2016. You will need to give the DWP a call (using the telephone number on the letter) and provide them your electricity account number and Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN). You can find the information you need on any electricity bill. If you don’t call the DWP by the date specified on the letter, you won’t receive the discount.
How do I make an application?
You'll be able to apply using the online form if you match any of the Broader Group criteria, by clicking here. Please do make your application as soon as you can as it’s given on a first come first served basis, so if you think you’re eligible, get in touch!
When will I receive the Warm Home Discount?
If you’re accepted onto the 2016/17 Warm Home Discount Scheme you’ll receive the credit before 31st May 2017. We’ll let you know in writing when the payment has been made.
What if I've moved home?
- If you're in the Core Group and expecting an automatic discount:
As long as extraenergy was your supplier on 10 July 2016, you’ll still get the discount from us. If you have a balance left to pay, we’ll put the discount onto your account to help you pay it off. If you have nothing left to pay, we’ll contact you and make the payment directly into your bank account. Please make sure we have your most updated contact details; you can do this by clicking here.
- If you're in the Broader Group and applied to us for a discount:
Your Broader Group application is linked to the address and account number on your application. Therefore, if you move house before you received the discount your application will be closed and we will not be able to make the payment.
When is the closing date?
All applications for the Broader Group are dealt with on a first come first served basis. There is currently no closing date, as it is dependent on the number of people who apply.
Why might I have to send you supporting documents?
We can usually get the information we need from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), although if not, we may need to ask you for it. If you’re unable to provide the evidence we ask for, your application may be cancelled so please try to upload your documents while you’re making your application if possible.
What if I don’t have copies of the right documents?
You can ask for up-to-date copies of documents by contacting:
Working age income-related benefits: Local Jobcentre Plus office, or by calling 0345 608 8545
Universal Credit: Call the Universal Credit helpline on 0345 600 0723
Tax Credit Award notice: Call the Tax Credit helpline on 0345 300 3900
What if I don’t agree with your decision?
Any decision we make is final. If your circumstances change, you would need to submit another application, and this should include up to date supporting evidence.